View Single Post

Old 03-29-2011, 11:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybo View Post

I would leave them home if I were going to an event that was really crowded, but in general, being able to take my dogs (just about) everywhere is one of the main reasons I want to move to TV. I know it may sound silly to some folks, but being with my dogs is among my greatest joys. And going out in public with me seems to make them pretty darned happy too. If dogs were banned from public areas, I would not be nearly as enamored with TV.
Skybo, it doesn't sound silly to me at all that being with your dogs is among your greatest joys. A lot of us feel the same way. (And I agree that dogs have no place at crowded events).

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy79 View Post
As I said previously, I'm not in favor of banning dogs from the squares BUT... don't you think that the above statement is an extreme case of hyperbole? I really don't think the vast majority of people decide to come to TV just because they can bring their pooches to the squares... or did they?
We purchased in The Villages because it is an extremely pet-friendly community, and we love animals. I agree that the vast majority of people probably don't decide to come to TV because they can bring their dogs to the Squares. But I'll bet a lot of people bought in TV because they were seeking a pet-friendly environment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdeck View Post

Also, keep in mind some of us pet owners have lost our mate and now our comfort is our pet (who by the way was always there during bad times - who is will be there for you when that time comes). aj
And there are some of us that feel dogs are an integral part of our family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post

This dog situation, like public smoking, is a question of the "rights" of a few proudly militant dog owners who force their dogs onto other people who have good reason to fear dogs from past, real experience; or who force their dogs onto TV visitors, guests and residents who do not consider stepping in manure to be a necessary part of enjoying the totally unique atmosphere at the town squares.
I have never, ever seen anyone force their dog onto other people. But I have seen people flocking around dogs to ask questions and pat them. Many retirees don't have pets anymore but just love to see and touch them.

Dog owners who force their dogs onto other people? When I take my large dog, Lolli Pop, to the Square, I can guarantee that at least 30 people will approach me and ask for perrmission to pat her. She is friendly and loves attention; and those who ask to pat her are delighted with her affection.

Stepping in manure at the Squares? In four years I've never seen manure at either of the Squares. But I have stepped in ice cream cones dropped by kids.