Thread: Barking dog
View Single Post

Old 03-30-2011, 12:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditzyfitzy View Post
well, I live in a Designer with a wall behind me....and my next door neighbor complains that when I am GONE he can hear my little one barking....SO, now I feel guilty going away! This is with all windows and doors closed---
(but, the neighbor on the other side doesn't hear anything at all). Some people just love to complain about anything---as my dog is NEVER barking early in the morning or in the evening...just maybe in the afternoon when I go out....
Lynn
Okay ditsyfitzy, I have several ideas you can try. Your dog is either bored, or scared when you are away.

Boredom: try using a "Kong" which is a hard rubber chewy thingy you can get at Petco or PetSmart. Put inside something you dog loves but can't eat too fast, like chicken babyfood or peanut butter, or even a hard treat like a biscuit can be wedged inside. The dog will work and work on the Kong and it will relieve boredom. This Kong toy is especially adored by lickers like Yorkies.

Or, you can hide kibble in different places around the house and the dog will be on a search-and-find mission while you are gone. Long after the kibble has been eaten it leaves a scent mark and your dog will revisit those locations again and again searching. (Be sure to put doggie in a bathroom with the door closed while you are hiding the kibble so he/she can't see you hide the stuff).

Fear or Restlessness: There is a new invention called Thundershirt or Anxiety Wrap and it simply is a stretchy material made into a sort of sweater that closes with velcro. The compression on the nervous system calms the dog. It works on my yappy littly poodle very well. http://www.thundershirt.com/

Or, you can get another companion for your dog -- yes, go to the shelter and find another dog. I did this for my little Yorkie when he was young. Worked like a charm.