View Single Post

Old 03-31-2011, 07:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
I used to have an Old English Sheepdog that went with me whenever possible. He was my buddy, my protector, my ham, my attention getter, my guy. Since I worked long hours, our hours together were special and I'd be danged if he would stay home when he could come with me. He waited outside of grocery stores for me. When allowed, he went into clothing stores with me (all the clerks at Nordie's knew Sleeper and would run over to pet him). I'd been known to cancel or decline an invite where Sleeper wasn't welcome. I would much rather spend the time with him than with most people.

Now, would I take him to a square when I knew it was going to be really crowded? I doubt it. I don't like crowds, so I wouldn't go, anyway, but even if I did, it wouldn't be fair to him. A small dog is a different story. I could carry a little dog and would. As I said, I love seeing the dogs at the squares and do go out of my way to pet them.

As to scooter/wheel chair issues, as K-9 said, dogs will get out of their way. I can see a dog chasing a scooter on a path, but not at the squares -- just not enough room for a scooter to move quickly enough to be an issue. I do understand that there are some idiots who take snappy dogs to the squares (never understood that one -- why take the risk of a lawsuit or, worse yet, having to put your beloved dog down because it bit someone) but I really can't imagine a dog trying to bite a leg, whether in a chair, a scooter or just standing unless the dog felt threatened. That threat usuallly would come from someone trying to pet it, not because you're there.

As to those who feel that dogs don't belong at the squares, I do understand your position. I don't totally agree with it since I think petting the dogs is a great treat for me, but you do have my sympathy. I do agree that dogs should not be taken to events when the squares are overly crowded (parades, Rocky & the Rollers, etc.), but normal crowds should be okay IMO.
Red, you are so articulate and so intelligent and so diplomatic.

Kind is what I love best.