View Single Post

Old 03-31-2011, 11:13 AM

A couple of years ago, my doctor ordered a lumbar myleogram which involves a lumbar puncture with a needle to get to the spinal fluid. After the procedure, you are supposed to lay flat for 4 hours to make sure the spinal leak plugs up. If you don't, you can get the world's worst headache that only eases when you lay down. Within one minute of elevating your head, the headache is so severe you get nauseous. Well, the Villages Hospital had me up and out of there 45 minutes after the procedure, and actually called me 1/2 hour after I got home to come back in as some CT pictures needed to be redone. So up I got and went down there where I reported to everyone I had a headache and could I lay down. No, there were no beds available and they made me wait 45 minutes for the CT to be available. Three days of the most excrutiating pain I have ever had later, they had to do a blood patch which is injecting your own blood to coagulate and patch the spinal fluid leak. I couldn't sue because there was no permanent damage so I wrote a complaint letter to every organization imaginable. While I received the most heartfelt of apologies from Lake Medical Imaging, no one at the hospital ever called to simply say "I'm sorry". Because of this, we will never use that hospital again and only go to Munroe Regional in Ocala.