View Single Post

Old 03-31-2011, 01:43 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by djplong View Post
So if oil companies are making billions, why give them tax breaks?

Why did GE pay no taxes on $14.2B in profits?

Seriously, you *must* be able to see a "chicken / egg" situation when it comes to electric and extended-range electric cars. Batteries cost a metric buttload of money - though far less than in the past.

Now, I make a decent living. I'm paying $250/mo on the loan on my Camry and that goes away later this year. I pay between $175-$225/mo in gas at current prices (depending on how much non-commuting I do). I *want* to put my money where my mouth is. But, quite frankly, it's going to take an amount of "ignoring the bottom line" to take on a $400/mo car payment to save $100+/mo - to say nothing of the fact that I have other obligations that could use being paid down faster to the tune of $250/mo.

Anything that reduces our reliance on foreign oil is A Good Thing since it's good for jobs, good for the trade imbalance, good for our strategic interests and good for security. That's not to say to do things at ALL costs but there's more to be concerned about here than just the Almighty Dollar Bottom Line.
My post was really just my humor in kind of catching you in a "gotcha" moment and I couldn't resist. We're not going to agree on this, I know.