View Single Post

Old 04-01-2011, 03:37 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I've had Directv for about 5 years and would never go back to Comcast even if it were free. I find that during heavy rain you'll lose reception first on the HD channels but the basic channels usually only go out in a severe storm, maybe for 10 minutes at the most.

Hopefully you've already gone through the channel set up and have only selected the channels you're interested in watching for your favorites list. On about 95 of the channels on my favorite list, I have the HD version selected. So for example, if I'm watching TNT, TBS, ESPN2, Bravo, etc. then I'm watching the HD version. When the picture begins to freeze during a rain storm, hit the yellow button on your remote, select 'change favorites list', and then select 'all channels'. Now all those channels that you've deleted will now be visible on the on-screen guide. Hit the 'BA' version, or basic version and the channel should reappear in the non-HD version.
Thanks for the tip. Always wondered why my HD set loses signal for a few minutes in heavy rain but my SD set hardly ever freezes up. I also would never go back to Comcast. They may be more reliable during storms but when they do lose signal, it's for hours at a time. DirecTV seems to be much more reliable, especially in SD. And when it's not really storming, DirecTV HD has much better picture quality, offers more channels and has a more advanced DVR.
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.