View Single Post

Old 04-02-2011, 10:06 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbama;3***63
I would be interested to hear any comments on unexpected expenses when first moving to TV. I read a post on another thread stating - "bring your checkbook", but they didn't go into detail.

We may be coming with limited funds, since we are still helping our son with his expenses and not "socking" any away as much as I'd like for the "big move"! I know a lot depends on the type home you buy, etc. We are hoping to find a furnished pre-owned, as we don't want to bring our old stuff. Several Villagers have told us they moved their furniture only to find it didn't fit in their new home at TV.
John - I think if you do what I'd consider to be a reasonable amount of investigation looking into expenses related to owning a home in TV, nothing will really come as a surprise. EVERYTHING you'd need/want to know can easily be found on TOTV.

On the other hand, Sandy and I met a fellow in TV last Oct. when we were there 'kicking tires'/looking around at new builds. We all got to chatting about TV-related things and he mentioned he was on the brink of buying quickly as he was really wanting to be in TV. Had his place back home sold, etc., etc. I mentioned something about the bonds usually being higher, apples to apples, on new construction versus resales. His reaction???? "Bond? What do you mean by 'bond'?" WHEW!!! His uppers about hit the pavement!!! The poor fellow knew nothing about the concept of bonds on homes......but was very glad it got mentioned!!!

Given the effort we put in up front, I feel like we knew everything that would be involved before we took the plunge and have had no surprises....and no regrets.....since.

Bill