View Single Post

Old 04-03-2011, 01:27 AM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii
Default States without income tax often have Ad Valorem

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy79 View Post
I'm not absolutely sure of this, but based on my prior Motor Vehicle experience I believe that Florida registration fees are higher than some other states is because Florida is an Ad Valorem (value added) state. What that means is that taxes are collected on initial registrations and upon renewals in addition to the regular registration fees. In a non-AV state, like NYS where I'm currently a resident, full taxes on a vehicle are collected on initial registration of a motor vehicle and the renewals only have the regular fee without added tax. I believe that most states are not ad valorem!
Most states I have lived in that are without income tax charge Ad Valorem or personal property taxes on cars usually collected when you renew or register the car that are based on the cars value. I believe Florida has no income tax thus inorder to get money they tax what you own real estate and cars I don't know if they have a similar tax on boats and RV trailers but some non income tax states do.