View Single Post

Old 04-03-2011, 03:23 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Did you have all those choices when you built at Plantation?
Dear Bogie,

Actually, no, as I bought a pre-existing 15 year old home there. I bought knowing the materials, etc in the house, were "as is". The Plantation just became "built-out", meaning that all lots were sold and building started or finished in the development just when we bought, so building a new house there was not an option.

Again, I do not mean to offend at all. I think The Villages is a wonderful place..very unique, and I understand why many would love it there and buy and build there.

I bought a 15 year old home knowing I would be doing upgrades......many of which I have already done. Being a 15 year old home I did not have a problem with upgrading.......I knew that in doing so I could get what I wanted and that most of those upgrades were justifiable if only because of age. Many things, like roofs, A/C units, etc are at 15 years close to their expected "end of useful life" and thus a justifiable expense.

I do not know when the developers of The Plantation were building how many choices the buyers were given. For me there it was a moot point. I'm guessing that the build quality of my 15 year old Plantation home was NOT as good of a quality as you have currently in The Villages. It sounds from at least what I read here most folks are very happy with your build quality.....they just wish they had a bit more of a choice in some things.

The other factor here is that I love remodeling, and do everything myself. I designed and built my own home here in NY, and will be selling it soon to become a full time Floridian. For me, I'd rather buy a home that has not been upgraded, so I can do the work myself. Only then will I know it is done to my standards, my way, etc. I realize I'm in the minority.

Again, there seems to be a lot of happy folks there, so they must be doing something right.

Enjoy the weekend.....we still have some snow up here. I can't wait to return down there....we'll be there by this Thursday.

Respectfully, Frank