View Single Post

Old 04-05-2011, 04:24 PM
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Togetherwecare View Post
I would like to thank all those who read my letter. I have been a resident of The Villages for many years. I have complete awe and respect for the Developer's family who have found a great formula for providing a great lifestyle and be able to make a profit. However, like the Villages ads states lits the residents who build the community they just build the houses. I place the letter on The Talk of The Villages because, unforunately, it is the ONLY vehicle we have for putting news in front of our residents and providing FACTS that we knew would not make the papers. In fact for those skeptics among you The Villages Daily Sun carried the first story about our endeavor on November 14, 2010 in Section C1.

Let my address some of the comments:

1) The Veterans Celebration and the displaying of the Vietnam Memorial Traveling Wall was an event for Villages residents, Villages Veterans and planned by Villages residents. At the time of cancellation not only were all the Veterans Organizations listed on the previous letter participating by many other Villages organizations had heard about the events and wanted in in any fashion. Music group wanted to play solemn music near the Wall, marching groups wanted to participate in the "Shadow Walk", car clubs wanted to transport injured and disabled Veterans so that they to could participate

2) The Wall was going to be open 24-hours a-day/ 4 days attended to by an Honor Guard of Veterans. The area was to be lighted 24-hours a day. The Celebration and Parade was going to last one morning or afternoon. Both events were going to be separated by sufficient distance as to keep the solemn presentation of The Wall and the celebration apart, yet allow for people to walk over or ride by golf cart. A "shadow walk" was going to be held on a separate evening to honor deceased veterans. This walk would be close by and have a candle lighting close to the Wall

3) The Wall has a cost, like it or not. To pay for The Wall, and other portions of the celebration a Dinner/Dance and sponsorships were planned. In addition, The Entertainment Department had offered to assist with both a pre "charity" event at Savannah Center AND a "named" concert. Their words. They offered to put a down payment to secure The Wall. None of these promises took place.

4) The only venue capable of providing sufficient off the street parking for cars and golf carts was the Polo Field. The only area providing some shade was the Polo Field. The only area that could handle people watching comfortably, being able to walk between The celebration and The Wall without risking injury was the Polo Field. The only area that was not in the middle of an active commerical shopping center and that didn't require the closing of streets was The Polo Field. The only area where spectators could watch the fly-over with a respectable missing plane formation in honor of deceased veterans without being hit by a distracted driver was the Polo Field. The only area where hundresd/thousands of people could participate in the "Shadow Walk" without risking a car accident was the Polo Field. The only area that did not have truck traffic roaring next to it was the Polo Field. It would have been very peaceful and solemn with a truck blaring its horn next to The Wall or a line up of truck traffic waiting for a Macdonald next to The Wall. The only area where 24-hour security for The Wall and sponsor and participating organization tentswas the polo Field. Did I bore you enough yet??

4) With all due respect to Al Young of the Vietnam Veterans of America CommericaL Property Management did the only smart thing. The question is why the Entertainment Department pushed the commerical areas when both areas had the same "liability" issues; meaning too dangerous?

5) I don't question the Villages legitimate concern for damage to The Polo Field; I do question their lack of concern when presented with information that their inital assessment was incorrect. I do question their failure to sit down with us to review the material, I do question their failure to call the vendor and ask him to review installation procedures again, I do question their failure to contact previous hosts who had brought and installed The Wall to other areas and ask them how the installation went and how much damage was caused. These failures cannot be explained.

6) Meanwhile the Golf Fest, Christmas Parades, Hoe Downs, the proposed Renaisaince Fair in September, horse pulls, concerts, etc. are encouraged to use the Polo Field for the same reasons why we wanted to. Ability to handle large groups and safety.

7) Don't kid yourself Mark Morse knew exactly what the plans were, and if he wanted us to work together to find a way to bring these activities to fruition it would have happened. But Mark didn't care. Why? I don't know.

Even a great person can make mistakes and is not beneath criticism. Grand Dad Harold Schwartz and Dad Gary Morse would never have let this occur.
This sure is an intelligent response. Please reread the last lines. This isn't about the whole family or the people who built this development up until now. You can never change ones opinion but you can state what happened in one situation without lumping it into a bashing of a poster. I for one appreciate all the work that Togetherwecare put in to try to bring this event to the Villages and all the time it took to write two intelligent posts.