Thread: Osprey
View Single Post

Old 04-05-2011, 04:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffysmom View Post
My little guy in the picture above was stalked by a coyote while we lived up north. Coyotes have been seen in TV as well as bob cats, hawks, eagles and owls. It is not overreacting to say that these little dogs need to be watched while outside. In my yard we have a daily visit by an extremely large hawk who feeds on the mourning doves as well as rabbits. So many of us have lived lives removed from nature and have no idea what can happen to domestic animals when hungry birds of prey as well as coyotes and bob cats live all around us. The thread here on TOTV about bald eagles with a live video cam has shown the eagles feeding their eaglets ducks as well as squirrels and large fish. We lost the buffalo to this kind of attitude; my neighbor was head butted by one when he tried to lean over the fence to feed a huge buffalo. Another day I watched a grown man and a child climb a fence at Palmer to get a better look at an alligator sunning himself.
The height of ignorance.
Not to get off track, but I think you point out something that not too many have had to think about duffysmom...many might not have encountered some of the "wildlife" we now live amongst. When we lived in CA, a colleague of hubby and colleague's wife, lost his little Doxie to a coyote that jumped their fence, grabbed the little dog and then jumped back over. This happened right in front of them. They were beyond heartbroken. We had coyotes walking through our neighborhood in CA and it was far from rural. Kitties were a favorite food of the wild beasts.
Ah, nature, it's all around us and we have to remember that wildlife is just that, wild and they will do what they naturally do and that could include hunting our domesticated pets.

Last edited by pooh; 04-05-2011 at 05:28 PM.