View Single Post

Old 04-06-2011, 04:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor111947 View Post
I'm finding this a very interesting thread. I was in TV last week house hunting and was a little confused about all the storm warnings - especialy since I'm not very familiar with the area yet. I knew the tornado warning was for Sumter County and that I was IN Sumter county, but I wasn't sure of much more than that. I was wondering if there was any early warning system - like sirens and what other precautions and/or preparations I will need to consider. This is going to take a little getting used to for a northern gal where bad weather warnings are usually for snow and ice.
When I moved here from the west coast I, too, wasn't used to severe weather warnings for wind, thunderstorms, tornados. It's an easy adjustment and a weather radio helps let you know what's on the way. The alarm might be registering for the particular county you have it set for, but the storm may not be near you. I've also got a map so I can look for where reports on tv are saying the weather is. Actually, I've learned of lots of new cities, towns, areas. Seems like everytime there is a warning, new places are mentioned. It's like a little Florida geography lesson!
Took a bit of getting used to the lightning and thunder here, but not too long....we had so very little of it where I lived in southern CA.

Good luck with your house hunt. It's tiring, but lots of fun and especially rewarding when you find just the right place. Enjoy.

Last edited by pooh; 04-06-2011 at 06:29 PM.