View Single Post

Old 04-06-2011, 05:37 PM
Gold member

Based on my knowledge of golfers there is a ongoing effort to "buy" a better game. My guess would be that generally a golfer goes out and buys a new wedge, putter, brand of golf ball, etc. to try and improve. He/she does that without much thought, maybe a great ad on The Golf Channel got their attention. A lot of these clubs probably end up in the far corner of the garage.

I started golf by using my father's old clubs. Over the years I bought my own clubs and followed the pattern outlined above. Then in the mid-eighty's I quit golf, got expensive and took time I felt I good better use elsewhere. (Where I lived in southern California had limited courses and green fees got steep.)

I started to play again when we moved to TV just over 5 years ago. Bought clubs off the shelf. For the next four years I bought some miscellaneous fill in clubs and a new driver. (Starting to follow that old pattern.)

Then I took some lessons, improved my game, and got fitted for clubs. I realized I wasn't ever going to be a great player so asked to be fitted for clubs which best met my play and were somewhat forgiving. I'm glad I got fitted and my game is improving after I thought it had got to the best it would ever be.

To me the greatest advantage of getting fitted was having someone understand my game and recommend the clubs. I would not have picked the ones I ended up buying.