Thread: Osprey
View Single Post

Old 04-07-2011, 01:19 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl View Post
you have to live your life, and not worry about everything all the time. Yes, birds of prey can kill small pets, and yes, birdfeeders can attract pests (rats, snakes, whatever), and yes, citrus trees can attract pests (rats, snakes, whatever), and gators can attack, and wasps and bees can sting.

So can cars collide and sun cause sun cancer. I know someone in his 80s who stepped in a hole on a golf course in his retirement community, broke a hip, went downhill from there, and died.

I will continue to let my dog out in the backyard, let my grandchildren play on the side patio and backyard, and feed the birds and grow my Meyer lemon and flowers.

This doesn't mean I won't drive a car, play golf, go to the pool, etc.

I will use reasonable caution doing all these things, but of course stuff can still happen - that's called life.
Yup. I agree with you Ohiogirl. Let's live our lives cheerfully and happily.

You are right -- once you have knowledge of a potential danger then you can take reasonable caution. Since learning about skin cancer, I now put on sunblock. Since learning about traffic accidents, I follow the traffic laws. Since learning that gators have to eat, I avoid them. Etc, etc.

The problem was that a lot of people didn't know that their pet needs protection from predatory birds. Now people who read this forum know, and they can choose to take action or non-action accordingly. So, please bear with me and others while we learn from each other.

If I read on TOTV that someone's beloved pet was killed by a bird, and I was too lazy or uncaring to inform people by posting to this thread, I would be guilty of contributing to their pain and the death of the pet.

So, I will also continue to let my dogs out in the yard of my CYV, and I also will grow plants and dig in the dirt, and continue to live life to the fullest. But, I will check the air space for birds first, put on my sunscreen, and wash my hands after digging in the dirt.

Oh, and I will continue to help people about their pets to the best of my ability, whether it is on TOTV or other means. It is part of my purpose in life, I think.

Now go out and kick up your heels and have fun!