Thread: Politeness
View Single Post

Old 04-07-2011, 07:48 PM
Veteran member

I too did not mean to infer that NYC folks are rude. I really did not mean to infer that, and I am sorry if it looked that way.

I am a moderator on a very large Florida forum, (kind of like Tony and TalkHost here), and I am constantly having to deal with forum posters who lump all NY'ers the same and complain about all of us "city-slicker rude, too fast talking, etc, etc" people. It does get exasperating. For years I have heard as soon as folks knew you were from NY, they assume you are from NYC. Like the rest of NY does not exist. After decades, it wears on us western NY'ers.

When folks on the big Florida forum heard I bought a house in Florida, I quickly heard, "We don't want any more northerners, especially NY'ers.....and don't try to change us. Don't talk fast, and don't tell us about your pizza, etc,etc...."

THANKFULLY, everyone I've met in this area have been totally accepting and nice.

I guess it is basically wrong to paint any one group the same. As said already, there are good and bad folks anywhere.......and even the best folks have bad days, and even the baddest folks can be nice every so often.

One only has to look at The Villages to prove my point. Villagers are from everywhere......but collectively they are a nice bunch of folks. Proof that where we are from makes no difference......

Ironically, I just drove in from NY. Just got down here to my NY home this afternoon. I'm back down here for a month....then back to NY to sell my house and live here for good. I love how the air smells down here...the warmth, etc. I drove through a snowstorm yesterday in Pa. I now have a pair of shorts on....awesome.

In life it makes little difference where you are from. Treat folks nice, listen twice as much as you talk, and folks will treat you nice back.

Again, I did not mean to be disrespectful to NYC folks. I've met many nice ones. Some of them did not believe we had indoor plumbing up in western NY, but once I told them we really did they were great.....lol...

TRUE STORY....I was training with a bunch of NYC firefighters and I told them, "Yeah, we had a bathroom fire the other day....but we got there quick and put it out before it could get to the house".....more then a few of the guys believed me! It was great.....

Frank