View Single Post

Old 04-08-2011, 07:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by stjames View Post
Hello faithfulfrank,
Thanks for your comments on the "mystery specs" of The Villages.
The Villages will not give me in writing what specs. they will build the house to,
even though I have a deposit on a lot.
Of course one can know the model and make of the appliances, cabinents, flooring
etc. But they won't say if the concrete block is steel reinforced, the psi of the concrete slab, the R rating of the walls and ceiling etc. I know they have to build to Fl. State Code but some of the Fl. code is on the low side of energy efficiency.
It sounds like you are well acquainted with The Villages. I have spent several weeks there recently over two two trips. I have also visited the Plantation several times.
The Plantation is quite attractive, large enough to generate energy and a good selection of activities. The homes are priced considerably lower than The Villages, they own their own facilities and the total amenity fee is $85/p/month, with about a 2 million reserve. There are no CDDs, Bonds or other costs except about &400 p/year for fire service. The great majority of lots are bigger and offer more privacy. Golf is extra, but very reasonable.
However, The Villages seems to be even more energetic with more clubs and of course, their Town Centers are great. Golf in the Executive Courses is free, at least for now. Unfortunately, the amenities will be owned by the Morse corporation until 2040, at which time the Morse corporation will decide to sell them or keep them. (That info. is in the Covenents and Restrictions that all buyers must sign before purchasing a home in
The Villages) But one does pay premiums to live in The Villages and obviously huge numbers think it is well worth it.

What were the main reasons that you chose The Plantation over The Villages?

Glad to hear you are skilled enough to do most of your house upgrades.
And it sounds like Fl. will be at least your winter home.

Take Care and Keep on Smiling
stjames
I had the same reservations about the quality of homes here when we were considering buying a home more than three years ago. I was really quite offensive to a lot of veteran posters with my sceptical remarks about the place, the homes, the developer, (YES, ME) and just about everything. I could NOT understand why people really got on me and bashed my ears on this forum when I thought I was just asking realistic questions. I thought this whole danged place was just a little too good to be true.

Now I find myself just as defensive as the posters who were annoyed at me.

The homes here won't have a lot of the things that many of us left up north.
There will be no pretty stair cases, no basements, no soaring ceilings, not much architectural interest or diversity even in the expensive Premiers.

You can get more house for your money outside of The Villages and there are REAL bargains everywhere in Florida now, just as there are almost everywhere.

That said, I think that the homes are fine, and I really have not seen any shoddy building practices. They really have the process perfected.The heating and cooling bills are quite good I think, and I have no complaints about the new house we bought three years ago.

It isn't the HOUSE, although they are fine, it is this wonderful community and what it has to offer that makes the Villages so attractive. You mentioned that in 2040 things are up for change. Believe me, in 2040, I doubt I will be playing pickleball.

We are so glad we bought our first house here three years ago. Now we are attempting to sell our home in Ohio, and our home in Hadley and buy a little bigger home and live here year 'round. We have built several homes in our lifetime, so we are certainly not novices at the practice. Just my two cents.