View Single Post

Old 04-08-2011, 10:25 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhooman View Post
Hey Folks

My story about my golf game and clubs.

Took lessons 12 years ago through the park and Rec center here in Long Beach, Ca. I immediately fell in love with the game. My initial purchase of clubs were the cheapest available just in case I fell out of love with the game.

Two years later I'm still playing with my cheap clubs and not improving. I joined a womans club and had the opportunity to play with a Club Champion, she took a look at my cheap clubs and said, if you want to improve your game you need to invest in better equipment, your clubs are really sub par. My feelings were hurt for a second and I realized, maybe I should spend a little money on this game.

I went to our local pro shop and was fitted for clubs and to my wonder, my game turned around. That year I was the most improved golfer in two Women's clubs, I loved my new clubs.

Fast forward another 10 years, I still play with fitted clubs to fit some disabilities that I have with my hands. I play with mens clubs, large grips, two gloves and still periodically need to make changes to my equipment. Technology in the golf arena is amazing and my game is proof that fitted equipment works. I have a single digit handicap and I love this game, even the hideous shots.

That Club Champion called me the year I became the Club Champion and I will always be grateful for her candor and assessment of my pitiful equipment. As a woman golfer, we need to find a pro who truly understands our game and potential. Sometimes men, not all men, think women players are the hit and giggle type and do not take us seriously. I needed to be vigilante with my game and equipment.

When we move to TV I'll be looking for a Pro or someone who takes me and my game seriously.

So that's my story about my clubs. Keep tuned for the next saga.
Jhooman,
Thanks for sharing your story. I loved reading how you went from a duffer to Club Champion. Almost makes me feel there is hope for all of us.
I would still love to know more about:
  • What factors go into determining a good fit
  • How the golfer's size vs. swing characteristics are balanced and considered in determining the right fit
  • All of the specific characteristics of a club or set that might be customized and why
  • If swing characteristics are strongly considered in determining the right fit, does the golfer need to be refitted in a couple of years or so?
p.s., Does anyone else think Fumar has two dogs and a butterfly garden and gets new top-of-the-line custom-fitted clubs every other year?

Last edited by Pturner; 04-08-2011 at 10:29 AM. Reason: addition