View Single Post

Old 04-09-2011, 11:28 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimdawg View Post
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Having worked in the healthcare field for over 40 years (yikes!), I'm going to offer some advice to y'all. No matter what healthcare facility you are at, you need an advocate to fight for you. When I started working, it was about the patient....and I loved every minute. When I retired, it was about the paperwork. The patient was on the back burner.......very sad. I was so glad to retire because of all the changes in the healthcare field.........and I'm sorry to say it, but it is going to go from bad to worse. YOU NEED AN ADVOCATE TO FIGHT FOR YOU!
Excuse my ignorance but could you explain what you mean? If I'm going to go to the ED I need an advocate with me? I think I missed your point.

I'm a RN in an urgent care facility here in MA. We take the strain off of our local hospital ED. Our providers take care of everything from the everyday cold to broken bones to foot care to dermatology to lab work etc. etc. I apologize to patients if their wait is longer than 30 minutes. Yes there is paperwork (actually all computer work now) but we do a great job. Are there frustrations? Of course, but you're dealing with ill people. In our state everyone must have some sort of insurance coverage (mandated by state law) so perhaps it is easier than FLA.