View Single Post

Old 04-09-2011, 03:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimdawg View Post
```````````````
Sorry I wasn't clear. And.........I should have added IMHO. No.........I'm not talking about a legal advocate. I'm talking a relative or friend.....someone who has your best interest at heart. ( I probably need someone to fight for me now -an advocate- as I have a Buffalo headcold & probably shouldn't have written what I did.) Anyway....yes, you need someone with you. Generally, you're not at your mental best when you're ill. Perhaps it is different in Mass....and hopefully, in Florida.....but in New York, the Health Care Professionals are so bogged down with paperwork that the patient often isn't coming first. I'm particularly talking about hospitals ,nursing homes...and even private MD's, Physical Therapists, Visiting Nurses, etc. In New York, the Health Care Professionals have to justify everything they do to the insurance companies to get reimbursed. This requires reams of paperwork whether it be computer or hand. Sorry for any confusion...........and my advice was truly IMHO. Back to the Kleenex!
I understood just what you meant SwimDawg. Once after Helene had a heart surgery, she was almost mistaken for someone else. They read your wrist tags and our last name was similar to another child who had just had heart surgery too. The other child was getting tachy from low potassium so a shot was ordered. I was glad I was there. I wouldn't have been anywhere else.

Our ex son in law was hospitalized last summer for kidney stones and was on some really heavy pain medication. I stayed with him because his parents are gone. You do need someone to watch out for you because frequently you are in pain or drugged and a couple of times his breathing was very strange due to the heavy meds. A person who cares can even answer for you about menu and little things.

Someone who knows you makes you feel safe and can help the nursing staff get ice and water and other things that do not require expert care.

Plus, when you are feeling better, they can sneak in a cheeseburger.

I certainly understood your post Swimdawg, and you made many excellent points.