View Single Post

Old 04-09-2011, 08:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyBoy View Post
In Florida they are either real estate sales associates or real estate brokers. Agent is generally used for both and is described as "a person who represents another person in a fiduciary relationship".

You can sell real estate in Florida without being a Realtor, but in most cases that means you have no access to Multiple Listing Services and some other benefits of paying your dues (literally). A great example of someone selling real estate that is not a Realtor - a sales representative that works for TV. They are licensed real estate sales associates or real estate brokers, but not Realtors.
Hi BogeyBoy,
I could be wrong, but I think you are referring to a situation that is peculiar to TV. As I understand a real estate agent (even in FL) generally works for a broker. The license requirements for the broker and an agent are different.

A Florida real estate agent who does not work for TV may sell property listed on the MLS regardless of whether he/she is a Realtor. The agent is a Realtor only if he/she is a member of the National Board of Realtors. That's because Realtor is simply a registered trademark of the National Board of Realtors. Essentially, it's a marketing term.

The reason non-TV real estate agents cannot sell TV-owned property is because TV refused to list its properties on the MLS. Initially, TV's sales associates were still able to sell MLS listings. However their right to do so was rescinded as a result of a lawsuit.

BTW, because the TV sales office calls its staff "sales associates" and not agents, I've often wondered if TV requires all of its sales associates to have an agent's license.