Thread: Packing our Pod
View Single Post

Old 04-10-2011, 09:07 AM
Soaring Eagle member

To save ime and money we packed the "majority " of boxes and prepared the majority of large items like tvs mirrors etc . WE bought "Moving" boxes and bubble wrap and packing tape (you need alot of tape) from Sams club or if we neeed speciality boxes from the local U-Haul palce. WE also "rented" about 20 heavy moving blankets from Uhaul and you can return them here locally. Personally I dont think the large Plastic storage containers are the thing to use in a move....although we have a number of them here in TV for attic storage. You will need lot of them to fill up a POD and they are much more expensive....and your storage here in TV above the garage is very limited!

How do you find packers that we carry your boxes to the pod and then pack and stuff the POd....go to this web site http://www.uhaul.com/MovingHelp/ and simply enter your zip code. They rate the local packers and give you a rough idea of pricing. It taked more me to load a pod than it does to unload....but then when you unload it will also require time if you wnat the guys to put the bed together, hand the mirrors etc.

HOW many PODS do you need? Good question.... we had no idea and had actually had 3 BIG pods delivered to our northern residence. You can only use the BIG pods for interstate moves. When the packers arrived (adn you need to schedule these guys weeks ahead of time during Prime Move season), we had most of teh boxes prepared. Our instructions to the packers were our GOAL was to move only 2 PODS...and we identified teh stuff and large furniture that would go on last. If it could not fit in POD 2 and we only had 1/4 - 1/2 of POD 3 filled...we were leaving it behind. You could use the same theory with only 2 pods also. The guys we had were very good and we accomplished our goal of 2 pods with very little left behind. The 3rd POD was returned to the company unused and no extra cost for having a spare on hand. They really used all the moving PADS to cover things very well. They also helped pack things we did not properly prepare like large pictures unususal shaped lamps etc. LESSON LEARNED: Get rid of everything you have not used in the past year or more...if in doubt toss or donate it....and garage sale about 2-3 weeks before the packers come allowing you time to ship things off to thrift stores etc.

Now the problem occurred with delivery in the Villages. We made arrangements for the Unpackers to come on a certain day. The POds ..both of them..were to be delivered a day earlier. When teh first pod came he droppped in our driveway and said he would deliver the 2nd pod when this one is empty. I told thim that is unaccepatable for I have 3 guys comming tomorrow to unpack BOTH pods. The POD driver tells me he cannot drop 2 pods in my drivway and I tell him he can and I will sign a waiver if he has to go on my grass......we wil be careful of the sprinkler heads. WE got into a major argument for he said he could not do this...I said I wanted to talk to his boss and he said his boss would call me ...I said NO I want to talk to him NOW and stood in front of the truck not allowing him to leave. He threathen to call the police I told him to go ahead..GREAT advertising..finally I got the boss on the line.....he told the driver to take some pictures and he wouold look at them when he returned and make a decision to bring the 2nd pod. Long story short.......they came with the second pod and this time a MORE experienced driver came. He told me there is no problem and that the "rookie" driver was just being cautious because there are alot of rules regarding pod drop offs.....never on the street, not on grass, and not more than 72 hours.......SO MAKE SURE YOU AVE ROOM AT YOUR VILLAGE LOCATION TO RECEIVE THE POD.

With all this going on a neighbor came by to welcome us to the neighborhood before teh 2nd POD arrived, and I explained our situation. he said he would help us UNLOAD the pod...but we knew one pod had all the heavy furniture in it that we could not move.....fortunately this was the easy pod. What a way to meet great "new" neighbors in TV.

Overall the POD experience was a good one and we would probbaly use it again. Much better than some of the horror stories I heard from people that used the BIg moving companies!