View Single Post

Old 04-12-2011, 07:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by quirky3 View Post
Hello - This is my first post, although I have been reading TOTV for many months. I especially follow the "lost kitty" postings, and I'm rooting for Oliver to be found!

I am/was seriously considering The Villages - I need to work through the end of 2013 though (bummer!)

I currently live happily in a gated community near Jacksonville. I want to know more about the sense of entitlement and intrusiveness that seems to be "The Way of the Villages". While I like the idea of neighborliness and building a community of friends, I have to be honest and say it does not appeal to me to live in a community where people don't really respect normal boundaries.

For example, I would not want cars parked in my driveway or things missing from my golf cart - and I am a very friendly person. Just brought up to respect peoples' privacy. I am wondering if TV is a very good match then.

Please tell me more about what to expect in that regard - I'm not sure a Lifestyle preview visit would give me that.

Thanks very much -
WELCOME TO YOU.. I liked you when you said you were concerned for Oliver.

I think that this issue and other issues like it are so much discussed on here because they are far from the norm.

I just had an email from a dear neighbor who said she gave permission for another neighbor to park in our driveway because they were having their driveway painted.

That is something that is different here than in Ohio where we grew up, but driveways are longer and wider on our street in Ohio and are never painted. We don't mind. The people who are parking are newer neighbors and the neighbor who gave permission for us is a year 'round resident and someone we truly care a lot about and trust with our keys while we're gone.

People are people and there are some little differences in manner and accent from one geographic area to another.

I generally feel that the friendliness comes from our age and our lack of having to go to work, although there are lots of people still working.

Please come down and see. If you miss the Crispers and if we are home, I will have a little gathering for you so you can ask real people, real questions.

You just won't believe how nice it is here.