Thread: PODS cost
View Single Post

Old 04-13-2011, 02:05 PM
Veteran member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbama View Post
We are not that far away, only about 400+. Our plan is to purchase a furnished pre-owned. I will sale my car, rent a U-Haul truck with a car dolly and tow my wife's car. As stated on other threads about moving, the biggest suggestion is downsize (i.e. dejunk), downsize, downsize. Unless you are buying a home in TV that is the same size as your current home, you will more than likely have too much "stuff". Therefore, you have paid for more POD space or other portable moving modules, just to donate a lot of stuff once you get to TV.

We are still about 18 months from making the move, so have not done any pricing. So, my suggestion for Taylor (original post) would be will you really need two cars? Is the size of your home in TV the same? Our TV home will be much smaller than our current one, so we don't want to get into trying to decide here which furniture would fit where down there. I'm selling my car because my car in TV will be a golf cart!! Any trips will be in my wife's car. When you look at the expense of driving two cars at $4.00 a gallon, plus the fact you and your wife will be driving separately. You both will be wore slap out from driving and then have to deal with unpacking and all the other headaches of a move.

We all have different moving needs and priorities. Ours is to bring a change of "shorts" and our golf clubs, plus a few keepsakes, which I should be able to get into a small or medium size U-Haul!!

Good luck to everyone making the "big" move! It is a challenge.
When my wife and i moved from long Island to Southern California we used a moving truck company. Worst experience of my life. They come to your home and give you an estimate then on the way from one state to another they actually get the exact weight and then call you before delivery and hold your stuff for ransom when they tell you the actual weight was much more than estimated and rip you off for extra thousands. The bottom line was we should of sold off all the furniture and could have bought new for close to what we spent moving. If I recall correctly the bill was over $7,000 at that time. When we come to TV everything will be sold first or given away.
Wanabee future TVer