View Single Post

Old 04-14-2011, 10:12 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by djplong View Post
I rarely trot this out because it's such an unpleasant memory.

Have you ever had to clean up a miscarriage? I have.

I've had to console my wife, burying my own feelings at the time, and clean up the mess when she miscarried some 3+ months into a pregnancy.

To equate that 'level of development' with a full-formed child is a matter of opinion.

Was it alive? Yes. Was it human? Call it a "work in progress" - all the ingredients were there. Technically speaking, the medical term is "spontaneous abortion".

Was it the same as a child at birth? No.
Was it the same as a fetus at 8 months? 7? No.

If memory serves, something over 98% of all abortions occur in the first trimester. Once you get past that, there are usually complications, medical reasons and other extenuating circumstances.

Someone spoke of when the heart beats - yeah, and it's a single chamber heart at the time with more in common with a frog than a FULL-DEVELOPED human.

Again, the ingredients are there and, in 2 out of 3 cases, if properly nourished through it's *technically* parasitic stage you get a baby in the end (estimates are that 1 out of 3 pregnancies end in miscarriage, very often with the woman barely knowing she was pregnant or perhaps mistaking a 'heavy period' for an early term miscarriage).

I'm betting that people are more sick and tired of the hyper-partisanship. The "I want everything on my list or I take my ball and go home" attitude. That's the attitude of spoiled children, not mature adults who realize they have to live in a world with people who do not share all their beliefs or priorities.
I'm sorry about your terrible experience, and yet cannot believe you think it relevant to a moral discussion on the willful destruction of a human life by abortion.

I still think it's hypocritical for anyone who believes in the definition of the end of life, as in the ending of brain function, to not also believe in the start of brain function as the beginning of life. That would be about 40 days gestation. I don't hold this view as a Christian who believes in life at conception, but it should be held by any honestly intellectual student of life science.

There really is no point in continuing this discussion because obviously we have different ideas on what is human life and the value of it. I will continue to comment if I feel the need to, but to what end, I do not know.