Thread: cheap shots
View Single Post

Old 04-17-2011, 06:37 PM
Veteran member

Katezbox, I agree with you about utilizing a Vet’s office for vacs for all the reasons you mentioned. Vaccines are not harmless. Adverse reactions, especially in little dogs, is not uncommon. They can range from mild to critical. My oldest guy went into full anaphylactic shock after his last rabies vaccination. It took a few minutes after the vaccination before it started, but we were still in the Vet’s office because I always stick around for awhile after a vaccination, just in case. The staff went into full emergency mode and saved his life. If we hadn’t been at the Vet’s when it happened, he would not have lived. Of course, a rabies vaccination has to be given by a Vet, but the other core vaccines are known to cause reactions as well. And a vaccine should never be given to a dog that isn’t completely well.

For those that aren’t aware, all of the Vet teaching schools in the US have gone to a 3-year protocol for re-vaccination of the core (non rabies) vaccinations. The recommendations for annual booster shots for parvo, distemper, etc. always came from the drug manufacturers, without any medical studies to base those recommendations on. Many cancers, immune diseases and other problems are now believed to be caused by over vaccination. Personally, after the initial puppy shots and the first year booster, I don’t re-booster for anything other than rabies, which is required by law. I've had my dogs titer tested occasionally and they still show immunity to parvo and distemper many years after their last vaccination.