View Single Post

Old 04-19-2011, 12:50 PM
Gold member
Default Well said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
I wouldn't cut the cord either. I agree it could escalate to a major war, but there's an even more important reason. Two wrongs don't make a right. Think about it. Wouldn't cutting the cord be fighting theft with criminal damage to property? If I run across someone whose standards of conduct I find contemptible, the last thing I hope I would do is lower my standards to his.

Flipping the breaker on and off could damage my own equipment/ appliances tied to the same breaker and would just encourage the guy to make sure I'm not home when he breaks in.

I think Freeda's husband did the right thing to talk to him first. However, unlike TH, I would not pretend that, like the thief, I also make no distinction between "neighbor helping neighbor" and theft. That would lead to a worse-case scenario, the one Red described in which TVers actually assume "entitlement" to taking from neighbors without permission (see also, theft).

Isn't acting like this is no big deal doing precisely that: granting TVers entitlement to take things belonging to others without asking? Isn't saying what TH suggests saying precisely that it's an acceptable norm?

Wouldn't kicking the can down the road-- or worse, calling it acceptable-- contribute to the problem in the long run, instead of helping to prevent an entitlement mentality from taking hold?
Well said as usual.