View Single Post

Old 04-20-2011, 02:38 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by djplong View Post
So Arizona has veoted the so-called "birther bill" which would require any presidential candidate to supply his or her birth certificate.

You know, it sounded a bit pointless until I found out that there was an interesting provision in the bill.

If you could not produce a birth certificate, you would be allowed to use BAPTISMAL or CIRCUMCISION certificates!

What idiot wrote THAT?

Here's a clue as to how STUPID that is. I was born in 1962. If I were to run for office "birthers" would have a field day with me because my mother illegally adopted me (no records) and changed my name several times (no records). She was afraid members of my birth family would find me and take me back. She convinced a priest in New York to give her - and I still have - BLANK, NOTARIZED BAPTISMAL CERTIFICATES! Any name or birth date could be filled in.

Now, how compundingly stupid is the Arizona bill? The State Department will NO LONGER accept baptismal certificates - I know because I tried (the rules changed after 9/11). I had to do a LOT of digging to find a link between my 'birth' identity and the name I'd lived under since I was about 5. On top of that, in most places, my adoptive mother misreported my birthdate. Fortunately, she left my birth name as an 'alias' with my proper birthdate with Social Security (when she applied for my card in 1975). With that I was able to do a legal name change to the name I'd lived under for over 40 years.

So some legislators in Arizona, complaining about border problems, proposed a bill to make it easier to get on the presidential ballot than to get a passport.
As usual your arguments are well reasoned and articulate. I fully agree that the bill as written was foolish, at best, and arguably outright stupid and pandering. Governor Brewer was right to veto it and I applaud her for doing so.

The underlying need is our refusal to make it impossible, or at least extremely difficult, for illegals to obtain a passport, driver's license or employment. Until we deal with this issue, every other issue will continue to smolder and then burst into flames in matters such as this bill.