View Single Post

Old 04-20-2011, 03:17 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Part II brought me to tears with the tragic story of the lovely, brave, young Jewish woman and her child. The different attitudes and reactions of those living in the house. The marbles. A powerful episode.

Last week after watching the first part, I checked Netflix to see what the odds were of being able to get the old series that way. Yeah right. A wait. A big wait. Probably a never-ending wait.

So my next stop was Amazon where I sprung for the 40th Anniversary Edition of "Upstairs Downstairs," 68 episodes on 20 discs, plus a bonus disc. I doubt that I will ever get around to watching the bonus disc. But I do want to see the entire series -- which is going to take me a while.

I don't often buy DVD's and this set was kind of expensive. So before I ordered, I ran it through that part of my brain that I call "expenditure justification" and found that when I divided the overall cost by the cost per episode, and then factored in the value of a little time out to watch, that math worked for me. (You know how that old cost-per-wearing thing can work for us girls. Well, it was sort of like that.)

Boomer