View Single Post

Old 04-21-2011, 04:44 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrudyM View Post
Do you mean run antifreeze through the pump so it doesn't freeze? It really doesn't get cold enough here to freeze up something stored in the garage. Or does it need to have it for another reason. I do read instructions but otherwise I am clue less, and my engineer husband is structural aerospace and not great with them either. If it isn't a turbine he is almost as lost as I am.
Trudy - You're right - you'll want to run RV antifreeze through the pump prior to storage to prevent any residual water remaining in the system from freezing in the wintertime. However, it's also a good idea to also do that any time as the RV antifreeze is good for the pump internals (seals, etc.) - helps keep them lubricated.

Here's something I found in an owner's manual for a Delta pressure washer to support the concept:

from http://www.mikestools.com/download/D...l-D25130-E.pdf

NOTE: If storing the unit for more than 30 days RV antifreeze or windshield washer fluid needs to be run through the pump. This helps prevent damage within the pump head. RV antifreeze or windshield washer fluid is not only added for winterizing, but for proper lubrication regardless of temperature or environment. Storing the pump less than 30 days does not require the RV
antifreeze or windshield washer fluid.

I always run some through our pressure washer after each use as I'm never sure when I'll be using it next!!

Hope that helps -

Bill