View Single Post

Old 04-21-2011, 07:54 PM
Veteran member
Default Possible cause

In my prior life, I spent 32 years restoring electric for a utility. My times it is caused by a snake (or another animal) that gets into a switchgear (very large green box that feeds the smaller green boxes) and blows the fuse. There are anywhere from 3 to 9 fuses in the big green boxes. Usually only 1 fuse blows. That is why some streets are out and some streets stay on. ( Think of a house, if you blow the fuse in the kitchen, the lights would stay on in the bedroom) Sometimes the underground cable gets damaged a little during installation but not enough to cause the cable to "fault". Over time mositure will will get into the cable and cause it to "Fault" blowing the fuse. Based on customer "No light" phone calls, a system operator can determined what fuse is blown, dispatch a troublershooter to the problem and re-route the power to another fuse if the blown fuse can not be replaced. Not knowing TV's electrical circuits, my guess based on the size of TV, there is 2-3 substation , 12-15 circuits (3-phase) and a 150 -200 fuses that keep the lights on. Most utilities have a"goal"
to re-store power within 1 hr in a NON STORM situation. During a storm the bosses are in charge and GOOD LUCK with that!