View Single Post

Old 04-21-2011, 08:57 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Like John N. just posted, We try to eat fresh veggies, for fruits we eat berries, our protein is seafood, and we don't drink milk. Another good milk alternative besides almond milk is coconut milk, and coconut creamer for coffee (Sweetbay has this).

Someone earlier in this thread asked if whole wheat is better than multi-grain and the answer is NO. Whole wheat bread has a higher glycemic index than white bread. And instead of multi-grain, look for something that says WHOLE grain.

My body is extra sensitive to carbs, so those are very limited for me. If I ate the foods recommended in the first post, I would be in trouble. But that is just me, and everyone is different and must do what is best for them.

For those who eat oatmeal, we have found the most yummy oatmeal ever. It is called "steel-cut oats" or "Irish oatmeal". It is in the grocery right next to the regular rolled oats. Try it, please! Here is our recipe:

Follow directions on box for the amount of oats and water and salt (don't leave out the salt, very important). Then when you first begin to boil the oats, add a generous amount of chopped walnuts, so they cook right along with the oatmeal. When the oatmeal is done and in your individual bowl to sweeten use "DaVinci Caramel Syrup" (sweetened with Spenda and available for $5 at Sams Club). Add a little almond or coconut milk, and 1 Tablespoon of Cinnamon (1 Tablespoon for each bowl). We also add a handful of fresh blueberries or cut up strawberries. THIS IS SOOOO GOOD.

A typical day for us is:

Breakfast - Steel Cut Oatmeal, eggs, coffee.
Lunch - Tunafish salad (no bread) or a "green smoothie"
Supper - Fish - or Shrimp - or other seafood with Salad w/ home-made dressing (I've got good recipes for dressings if anyone is interested)

Just went to a new doctor last week and had my blood tested -- No sign of diabetes!