View Single Post

Old 04-22-2011, 02:23 AM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii
Default Just my thoughts

Zillow is not a good indication of what your house is worth. It uses a statistical formula based on houses sold in your area by square feet and the prior sales history of the house. A good example is that in my neighborhood they have my neighbors house as worth more than mine and It is behind me with no view and I have water / city lights view a 100 thou value in my area.

I agree with the others who have said comps are what count.
I have my realtor take me to view the other direct comps that are currently for sale so I know what I am up against and make my own judgement. The quicker it sells the less work the agent has to do and that is often their motivation. Did they give you a marketing plan or are they just throwing it in the multilist. A brokers open or several that is for the realators in your area is vital and more important than an open house in my opinion. The best realator I ever had, had a lunch brokers open the third week it was listed and sent a personal invite to the top seller agents in town from all agencys not just his own, The following week I had 8 showings.
Also did they do a video tour attached to the listing. How does the listing look does it read well. If the pictures aren't great make the agent take new ones. If the agent isn't willing to do this dump him. Check on the law in your state more and more states let you discharge your agent with notice for not acting in your best interest.

They should be able to provide you with a chart of in what months most listing sell. In my area the most sales are in June July and August as they want to move between school years. I agree that 20 days is too soon to panic. Average days on the market for alot of areas is 6 to 9 months. A friend of ours was paniced and lowered the price way down after only a few weeks only to find out that the person who bought it was a realtor who then relisted it with a new paint job and a little landscaping at more money.