View Single Post

Old 04-22-2011, 06:30 AM

Tri-care is the umbrella medical plan for the US military. There are several sub-sets. I think it is Tri-care Prime for active duty and their dependents, there is also a version that reservists use, which is relatively new. The gentleman that started this thread is probably the resident subject matter expert on that as he was a career reservist. I think at age 60 it may, like active duty and retired change to Tri-Care for Life. That would be the one that covers military retirees. With Medicare and Tri-Care For Life retirees are pretty much totally covered. I suppose there are always exceptions, but I am 69+ and some co-pays for meds has been my only expense, period.

Then I muddied the water and mentioned the Veterans Administration (VA). Their system is even more convoluted in what they provide and to whom, but again, for the veteran with service connected issues, it is, as also mentioned in this thread, very good. They do treat all veterans, military retired or not, but without service connected issues that have been validated they have co-pays and deductibles, which of course vary. The Villages out patient clinic was opened last fall but they are still months away from being fully staffed. I too am impressed with their current operation, having said that. Gainesville is the closest VA hospital.

A very short overview that could start you on a google search lasting hours and hours.