View Single Post

Old 04-22-2011, 08:52 AM
Veteran member

As others have said, these choices are really a quality of life issue, especially in our retirement age group. By waiting until the market improves (maybe - and then, again, it could also worsen) in a few months or years, the prices in TV will also have likely increased; so where does the waiting actually get one?

It's not possible to know the actual motivation of your realtor, but as others have said, by getting and carefully studying the comparables, which is the best barometer of value, you will have more data to confer about, and to get the realtor to justify, if he/she can, the recommendation to lower your price. And, that way you won't feel that you are giving in/knuckling under to the realtor if you decide to reduce the price; but will have the information to make your own informed decision, with the realtor's input/opinion as just one factor, although an important one, to consider.

At the end of the day, if it means you get to TV years sooner, and get on with creating the rest of your life, it may make sense to do what you have to do to get a sale. And once you make a decision, such as to lower the price, if you do, let yourself off the hook and don't second-guess yourself, which is so stressful; just remember that things change, and you made the best decision you could with the information that was at hand at the time, regardless of what you thought in the past you wanted to get for your home; and that's all any of us can ever do. In the long run the difference you may net from your sale if you reduce the price will probably not wiggle the needle in your overall enjoyment of life.

I'm no real estate expert or economist, but everything I have read or heard from people who are makes me believe that it will be quite a few years before we will reliably see substantial recovery in the real estate market, both residential and commercial; and that TV will do much better in real estate values (and that would include YOUR home that you would buy in TV, too, and so thus your TV home might be the source of some recovery of the 'loss' you might feel you took on your current home up north if you sell it for less than you would like) than most other locations; so if it were me, especially since I love this sunshine down here (THAT, at least, is a sure thing, most days), I'd get it sold and move on.

Measure your wealth not by the things that you have, but by the things you have for which you wouldn't take money.
The world needs dreamers; the world needs 'do'-ers. But most of all, the world needs dreamers who are do-ers.

Last edited by Freeda; 04-22-2011 at 01:14 PM.