View Single Post

Old 04-22-2011, 07:52 PM
Platinum member
Default Saving Money on a New House in TV

I think I see a pattern in prices folks pay for new TV homes. My theory is that those who decide to buy a home with numerous upgrades pay more than they would if they were to buy the upgrades later from private contractors.

A prime example can be found in the current thread "Swimming Pools", where folks report that they save lots of money contracting with a really good company like T&D to build exactly what they want after they move in, rather than buying the pool, (also built by T&D) from TV during home construction. I'll extend those savings possibilities to golf cart garages, birdcages, summer kitchens, landscaping, quality hardwood and tile flooring, etc., etc. I don't think you can save that much in the smaller upgrades like appliances, fixtures and cabinets, but I too saved thousands on some big items.

What it took was a fair amount of research, lots of TOTV reading which helped me find the best contractors, and patience. But what the heck, I'm retired.

I'm curious if others have had similar experiences. If so, we could have a whole new chapter of 'Nuts & Bolts' for newbies... How to Beat the System.