View Single Post

Old 04-23-2011, 12:00 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

you asked:
"Here's the question:
Should you do 80MPH in a 65MPH zone that's been reduced to 45MPH in a construction zone or obey the law, do 45MPH and risk a collision?"

my response: NO!

road raged husband and i make this trip from jersey to various points south [villages, hilton head, family in n.c.] several times a year...we leave jersey on a sat so that we can drive thru the d.c. area with just the shoppers and a few semis rather than the commuters and lots of trucks. on the return trip we plan it so that we are driving thru the d.c. area on a sunday and will only have the sports fans [baseball and football seasons are the busiest times] to contend with.

road raged husband will normally drive the speed limit + 5 to 10 miles per hour in the center lane; and will use the left lane just for passing. when i have to make the trip solo i usually use the truckers as my guide since they have their cb radios and know where the pitfalls are. if i feel that my husband's road rage is escalating, i just tell him that we need to stop at the next rest area - that gets him off the road for a few mins - sorta like a "time out" for kids!

neither of us becomes overly concerned with the drivers behind us since we are not your typical left lane dick or jane and we feel that those drivers can just pass us if they please. we find that once we clear virginia we do encounter more of those left lane drivers; and have decided that they clog up that left lane "just because they can".

i do believe that the frequency of our travel, our lack of youth and the fact that we are both now retired and have nowhere else to go has helped our attitude. we try very hard to just sit back and enjoy the ride. the january drive to the villages is sometimes the hardest due to changing weather conditions along the way.

we have incorporated the 2-day drive as part of out vacation travel. we visit the same rest areas, motels and restaurants; and we enjoy checking things out along the way to see what is new. but deep down we still keep a little bit of that "jersey" attitude - jut in case!

Last edited by njbchbum; 04-23-2011 at 04:58 PM.