View Single Post

Old 04-23-2011, 02:40 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philnpat View Post
Our previous visits to TV have been by plane. This time we were able to spend 4 months so we drove.
We regretfully headed back to upstate NY earlier this week. Everything went well the 1st day. Traffic was reasonable, mostly everyone did the speed limit and road conditions were fine.
The 2nd day on the road wasn't anything like the first. We left North Carolina and traffic got heavier and faster. It was like a free-for-all!
Washinton DC was an eye opener. Most everyone drove over 80 MPH.
Once we got into New Jersey, there were several areas of road construction. The speed limit was reduced to 45 MPH. I gradually reduced my speed to 55MPH or so and heard brakes squeeling behind me. This happened more than once. People were blowing their horns and giving me the "salute." I obviously didn't want to get rear-ended and didn't want to impede the flow of traffic so I sped up even faster.
Here's the question:
Should you do 80MPH in a 65MPH zone that's been reduced to 45MPH in a construction zone or obey the law, do 45MPH and risk a collision?
PS...we're safely home...woke up this morning and there's FRESH SNOW on the ground!!!
WE already miss TV.
You must have had a bad day. I've made this trip many times and never came anywhere near 80 MPH in or around D.C. Traffic does get wild at times but at other times you could row a boat faster. I always time my trip to avoid rush hour.
Same with Jersey. Don't know what road you were on but the turnpike usually moves pretty well. There's construction here and there and traffic moves along but 80 in a 45? Haven't seen that either. I usually get off the turnpike at exit 11 and onto the GSP. That road can definitely get crazy through the Oranges but it's nothing to really worry about. Just go with the flow. That's the advice I got from a Jersey trooper who's engaged to my niece. He patrols that section of the GSP and he's a whole lot more concerned with people swerving in and out of traffic and driving aggressively than speeders.
Sounds like you're not accustomed to driving in heavy traffic at highway speeds. If you do it enough it's like anything else. You get used to it and don't get all stressed out.
I'm in NY too and it's way too cold. Wet too. No snow here but just generally miserable weather.