Thread: Family Pools
View Single Post

Old 04-26-2011, 12:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
I'm trying to imagine bringing my 2 YO grandson to a family pool during spring break. He wants his floating Mickey, a bucket (allowed) and at least one other bath toy. He'll be wearing his floaties (allowed) and I'll have.......
(and kids don't put one toy away when they're ready to play with the next -- they would all be in the pool with them).

And I totally agree that a few wading pools next to the deeper family pools would be a truly great thing.
Exactly.

Also, a big problem I've seen over the years in private club pools outside TV is that ANY floating small object, like a squishy ball, tennis ball, rubber duckie, etc. inevitably gets grabbed by boys between ages 5 & 18 who will run across the deck, whipping it like a missile at their buddies in or out of the water, or playing catch while falling/jumping into the water off the pool deck.

I have brothers and grown sons, and have seen for decades that throwing a ball or something like it is some kind of an irresistible, primordial urge to them. (!?!?!?!?@@#????!????!!)

We always went after our kids to stop them from annoying other pool users, but many parents do not.....as if everything their kids do is "cute" or worthy of others' praise.

I also remember taking my toddlers to pools....and separate wading pools...and the older boys would grab noodles and WHIP them on the surface of the water, taking out their aggression or purposely intimidating....or just being immature as they are.

Taking toddlers to a non-wading pool is anything but "fun". Our preschoolers played and played in the portable wading pools we used to set up on the deck or in the back yard. There, we could watch them without dealing with older kids to discipline....which their parents wouldn't tolerate anyway.