View Single Post

Old 04-28-2011, 07:41 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
I think dividend paying is a good way to go. However as the amount of the dividend increases the risk increases so stick with good companies and investments you understand.
Good morning, rjm1cc,

That's classic investment advice that can so often get lost in the razzle-dazzle of the spiels and the spins out there, everywhere. Warren Buffett agrees. "Understand what you own," says he.

I have shamelessly confessed here on TOTV, in the past, more than once, about that bubble-dancing I did back in the 90's. I learned. The only credit I can give myself after that one is that I did not bet the whole farm, just the butter and egg money. But I sure did learn. Experience is the best teacher. That's for sure. But I was young (sigh) and still highly employable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
I to like dividend stocks. There is a pretty good news letter on the subject called "The Dividend Machine" Some of their recommendations include:

Johnson & Johnson JNJ
Altria MO
Coca-Cola KO
Abbott Laboratories ABT
Philip Morris Intl. PM
Wal-Mart Stores WMT
Automatic Data Processing ADP
McDonald’s MCD
Lockheed Martin LMT
Berkshire Hathaway BRK.B
Kraft KFT
Microsoft MSFT
Intel Corp INTC
Visa, Inc V
Bristol-Myers Squibb* BMY
Cisco Systems CSCO

I own 5 of these stocks and all have made very positive capital gains and provided a decent dividend.

I just bought Cisco which should provides an excellent growth plus a small dividend. And where do you find any company sitting on 40 billion in cash. That alone equals $7 in every share value.

Also be interested in an investment club focused on dividend stocks.
Hi l2,

I own two on that list. Although I have been doing the old approach/avoidance routine with MO for a long, long time. That dividend is tempting. I am still mad at myself for missing MCD at its low.

I actually woke up long enough to take a little profit on a couple of utilities recently.

Euphemistically speaking, I have to think we could be nearing some (ahem) buying opportunities. There are some things that I like that are too close to those 52-week highs right now to suit me.

I wish I had some BRK -- 'A' would be really nice. Then I could go to the meetings. (sigh)

Warren Buffett once said to his shareholders, "Lethargy bordering on sloth remains the cornerstone of our investment style." -- I can relate to that.

Three-toed Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 04-28-2011 at 08:07 AM. Reason: verb tense -- or maybe it was a tense verb