View Single Post

Old 04-29-2011, 09:14 AM
Gold member

I see lots of replies of "my .357" and my dog will alert us.

How many of you know how to use that ".357" or whatever you have in hand, either long gun or pistol? Remember all those houses are close together and any bullet that you launch you are responsible for where it lands. You just fired all six rounds, and hit your neighbor. Good shooting??????? and the bad guy is still coming at your unhurt.

I will be willing to bet that under stress you could not hit a target at 5 to 7 yards in under five seconds or more. You will never get your ".357" in the fight. There is a drill that we do at 7 yards, 21 feet. A reasonably heathly person can cover those 21 feet in about 1.5 seconds. Can you get to your ".357" and get a round off htting the target in 1.5 seconds? Just to let you know, I can from 5 yards, drawing from cover, place 6 rounds on 3 targets in center mass in 2.88 seconds movng backwards. Drawing from cover on one target I can hit center mass in 1.05 seconds with two rounds. I have gotten older and slowed down lots. Back in your younger days I was under .88 seconds for the same drill. Age does slow us down. *S*

As a long time competitive shooter and NRA Law Enforcement Trainer I have watched shooters at a public range, take time to get a good sight picture, steady breath, long easy pull on the trigger and put several shoots in a small group. They are really proud of themselves. Shooting this way in a stressfull situation will only get you killed.

Get some training, tactial firearm training in shooting is stressful situations. A timer at a range under the instruction of a good trainer will help you break all the bad habits that you have learned in your life time of shooting and will keep you and your love ones alive.

In times of stress people get what is call "Tunnel vision." You see only what is in front of you and hear nothing. You won't even hear the shot if you do pull the trigger.

Get some training if you are going to have a firearm in your home. Learn what to do, and when to do it.
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Home Protection Instructor
Retired Army Military Police Investigator - 20 years, 4 months, 13 days
Retired Deputy Sheriff/Corrections Officer
IDPA Safety Officer Instructor
All skill is in vain when an Angel weewees in the flintlock of your musket.