View Single Post

Old 04-29-2011, 10:19 AM
n/a

Default Good Article...But Even More Maddening...

What will really make you mad is where all the people involved in cramming the prescription drug bill thru Congress in the late of night on the last day of the Congressional session a few years ago are now.

Many of the key Congressmen and staffers, as many as twenty of them, are now all employed in very high-paying jobs with PhRMA (Pharmaceutical Research & Manufacturers Association), the huge drug company lobbying firm. It was later reported that the bill that was eventually passed was actually written by PhRMA.

All this was revealed in a 60 Minutes exposé a couple of years ago. You still may be able to find it on the web. After I watched it steam was coming from my ears.

And it wasn't without forewarning. A long-time Congressman, a Republican from Tennessee as I recall, was quite vocal about how the cost of the prescription drug bill was being so misrepresented. He said in many articles and TV interviews, "...wait'll the public finds out what the real cost of this is." When the bill was going thru Congress, those pushing it provided estimates that the 10-year cost of the drug provisions would be $394 billion for the period 2004 to 2013. The ten-year cost has been re-estimated each year since the bill was passed in 2003. Most recent cost estimates almost triple the cost of the drug program to more than $1 trillion from 2010-21020.

Of course, President Obama is now being blamed for runaway healthcare costs as the result of ObamaCare. ObamaCare had nothing to do with the dramatic increases of government funding of prescription drug costs, of course. But I guess it just goes with the territory.