View Single Post

Old 04-29-2011, 03:08 PM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
Does anyone know of any intruders in a house when the owners were home?

About 4 years ago, there was a rash of burglaries in The Villages. At the time, most of them were reported in the Villages Daily Sun. According to those reports, many of the intrusions were while people were at home. Some reported people awaking in the dead of night with intruders in their bedrooms. Some were in broad daylight. If my memory serves me correctly at least one home owner was injured in a scuffle with the intruders. To the best of my recollection, there were about 15 or 20 burglaries in that series. Two of the burglaries were about three blocks from my house.

One or two individuals were arrested and charged with some of the crimes.

About 5 years ago, there was a home intrusion not far from Lopez Country Club. Two young men held a man and his wife at gunpoint while they ransacked the house. Before leaving, they murdered the woman and seriously wounded the husband. I have a more than casual knowledge because I was called for jury duty. I was not selected. Both of the defendants were found guilty and only one, I believe, received a death sentence. The couples daughter investigated, but was never charged.

In this case, the "panic" or "ambush" alarm could have been helpful.

JLK