Thread: American Flag
View Single Post

Old 05-03-2011, 12:14 PM

The flag etiquette quoted above is fine and it says "may" as Vinny outlines, but US Code, Title 4, Chap 1 states, "a) It is the universal custom to display the flag only from sunrise to sunset on buildings and on stationary flagstaffs in the open. However, when a patriotic effect is desired, the flag may be displayed 24 hours a day if properly illuminated during the hours of darkness." I think the "if properly illuminated ....." sort of qualifies the may and removes some ambiguity. An earlier post asked the question about the amount or source of light, that is a better question. My flag pole light malfunctioned a few weeks ago due to the sensor on the electrical system, so I relied on the bright light of the light pole for a few nights. IMHO that is a "cop out", I ordered and installed a new pole light up near the flag, solar operated. I happen to believe that the flag of The United States of America deserves the best, rather than the handiest, or the least expensive, but that ISMHO.

Vinny makes some other very good comments with which I heartily agree. One year and one week ago I completed 49 years, 7 months and 14 days of uninterrupted service to the US Air Force on active duty, civil service and contractor status, so I've done my best as so many other villagers have.

Forntunately we live in a country where the flag police are not taking down addresses. You can do as you see fit, just as I did.