View Single Post

Old 05-15-2011, 06:03 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Sorry, I really don't see any racism in this and I'm pretty sensitive to racist comments. I have not seen the ad mentioned. I'm assuming the ad refers to a certain someone who repairs golf carts. If so, most of his competitors are individuals who have no employees. I think all of his competitors -- black, white, tan or purple -- would object to being called monkeys. Personally, I find ads that insult competition insulting to me and I usually opt to not use that company. I will happily find someone as good or better than the one claiming they are the best; better than their competition; or whatever. It is why I won't give referrals to a certain golf cart rental company -- the first time I called them, I was told they had the "best" golf carts around. I called others, found one that was cheaper and had excellent carts. So, that was the end of the "best" carts around to me.

I do think it is a bad metaphor -- seems like peanuts would get you elephants and bananas for monkeys. Guess they could have said, "pay less, get crap," but I think more would find that objectionable. Regardless, this is not a case of saying someone is a monkey if black; it is a case of someone saying you get less quality if you play less money. They lose my business for that simple reason (and the fact that if it is who I think it is, I'm not paying $65 just to have you come out and look at my cart when I have a GREAT repairman thanks to this forum).

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein