Thread: "The wife"
View Single Post

Old 05-17-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Yep 13. It has been a long but lovely ride. I graduated from a catholic Grammar School moved to a public entering freshman year and my friend had attended this public school. On my first day there he was showing me around when I spotted her. She had a cute ponytail, gray jumper white blouse and black flats. I ask my friend her name. He told me and I told him that was the girl I was going to marry. She said she didn't like me because I was that conceited boy from catholic school who had a bad reputation. I chased her until May (now 14) when she caught me. When I entered the Navy she sent me a letter everyday for the first two years when we got married I was then 19 and she 18. finish the remaining two years and we sent up our first nest and began our married lives We planned our lives from the day we started going "steady"... remember that term? We are approaching our 50th next year. We believe that the secret to staying together is compromise and so for 49 years we have compromised and done it "the" wife's way.
Rubicon and Gracie:

What wonderful, heart-warming stories...I thank you both for sharing.

If I may...I saw future wifey on May 4, 1972 at exactly 630pm. She was warming up to play in a rec dept softball league; that week I had just started working for the rec dept. My job that night was to umpire that night's games.

As luck/fate would have it, there was a close play at first base. I called her out; she disagreed. Despite that first encounter, we eventually started dating, yes...went steady, became engaged, and closed on our house the day before we married (old school here: we began living together on our wedding night).

To this day, however, Wifey still says that she was safe at first base, and that I was wrong!!!

Over the years, however I always prevail in that argument or any disagreement involving judgment: I simply remind her that I married her, but that she married me. Everyone who knows us will say that I got the better deal (by far!!), thus reinforcing my assertion that her judgment is suspect at best.

If God permits, Wifey and I will walk as long a path as each of you and your respective spouses have.

PS: I apologize to all fellow posters or hijacking this thread.