View Single Post

Old 05-24-2011, 05:55 AM
Gold member
Default just a longer heat wave

I'm from Ohio (surprise) but have also lived about 5 years in southern Wisconsin (hour from Milwaukee). Summer in TV is about like your 2-3 week heat wave in August, only it lasts for several months and doesn't cool off as much at night (when you're sleeping with the a/c on anyway). Last summer was unusually hot both in the Midwest and in TV.

I don't live in TV during the summer (yet) but have spent time there, and also lived for a year once in Homestead, FL (south of Miami). When I lived in Homestead, my car was not even air-conditioned (but I was young). I also lived (twice) in Houston, which I thought was more humid and less breezy than TV.

I would agree that summers in TV are bearable, especially after you get used to it. I'm going for a week in late June and am looking forward to it. It's true I will only golf early or late, and probably go for a swim after to cool off (which feels great).

I'm a big porch/lanai person and like to garden, which I will probably just do in the very early morning - fortunately I'm an early riser anyway.

Riding in a golf cart for grocery shopping or activities at rec centers is fine - creates its own breeze - and the parked cart doesn't heat up like a car does.

Most people who live year-round in TV plan their family visits north during the summer, and I think we will save our Alaska cruise for when we become frogs, and possibly also plan a mountain cabin trip then too. But really, it's bearable. Lots better than winter in Michigan or Ohio. Water aerobics still feels great, and you can go to many indoor exercise options too - and don't have to skip that day because of snow or ice or just because all the gray days have you too depressed!