View Single Post

Old 05-26-2011, 06:09 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemorc View Post
I was there and watched as the protesters were moved away from the Square area. I understand that the event was paid for with private funds, but what about their right to political dissent. You can tell me they were provided with an opportunity to protest, as long as they did it out of earshot or sight.

The Supreme Court has recently rule that you cannot stifle political dissent. There is nothing sicker, or more reprehensible, as the church that protests at Fallen Hero's funerals. But the Court ruled you can't stop it. I know someone will argue the private property defense, but really, is this what TV has descended to?

Please reread Franklin's quotation, used in your email signature. I'm sure you could imagine the word dissent in there somewhere.
You can protest all you want as long as you're on public property and behaving in a lawful manner. The pavilion area is private property and was leased for this event. This has to be respected for it's own value as well as for the security of the governor, which is paramount is situations like these.
The protesters were moved across the street, not to Siberia. If you've been to the square you know this is no big move.