View Single Post

Old 05-29-2011, 10:54 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

I agree that the 3 ft. law is not generally enforceable unless of course it the distance being judged is significantly under 3 ft. Human judgment is just not that accurate.

Several years ago I was the driver in a four person per all day, two leg auto road race (not a speed contest) where a lot of the tasks involved judging distance, whether it was inches or miles. One of the tasks I had to perform as driver involved positioning my vehicle on a starting point then move the vehicle forward the distance I was given by the judge using only my judgment. I was several inches off as were every other driver that day. So if we couldn't not accurately judge distance being in a close and tightly controlled test, how could anybody ever be able to make a 3 ft. judgment at a considerably higher speed with less time to make a judgment? Don't think it's possible without the element of luck entering into it.

Other factors can also enter into it such as cyclist swerve. As I've implied, it's nearly impossible to reach judgment unless the distance between motorist and cyclist is so tight that there is no way that it could exceed 3 ft., and even then there could be doubt.

Having said that I'd also like to state that I do believe that a cyclist has a right to use the roadways and do so safely, but there is never a guarantee of that happening unless the road has been closed off to vehicular traffic either temporarily or permanently. I may not be a cyclist I am aware of the dangers inherit in the activity.

A friend of mine was deeply involved in competitive cycling several years ago and although he never made it, he was in training to do an across America race. He also organized and ran some races that ran through parts of New York's Adirondack Mountains. One of those races involved two heartbreaking deaths from cyclists being struck by drivers. It hurt him so deeply that he never ran another race.

After the deadly race my friend spent 10 years of his life writing about his cycling experiences that resulted in his publishing a book called "The Camel's Heart"! It was his first and only book ever written. I believe it was over 400 pages long and was very gripping even to a non-cyclist like me! After reading it I lent it to a cyclist to read and never got it back. Jack, my friend send me another at no charge when he found out about it. I now have it packed with my other books ready for when we move to TV in the Fall.

Today Jack at the age of about 74 still remains unbelievable active and cycles and Kayaks during the summer month and does cross country skiing during the winter. He is also still self employed in running a hair salon for both men and women... especially the women! The Villages Florida He's quite an individual that, with what I've already stated and for other reasons, I admire a great deal.

I have sent a message to Jack and am currently waiting to hear back from him to see if he still has new copies available for sale. If he does I'll post a message here after I hear back if he does for anybody who might be interested in obtaining a copy.
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"