View Single Post

Old 05-30-2011, 08:02 AM
Sage

Cat urine is extremely hard to remove from carpeting and the underlying padding. I grew up with cats as pets and love, love, love them. I have started a reverse bucket list. Things I will never do. Having a cat is on my list because my husband said he'll never live with a cat in the house because of things like this.

Cats tend to go back to the same area where they urinated. In your case it will be the area where they smell the urine on the carpet in front of the litter box.

Your kitty may have some anxiety from the move and having to get use to a new home. The cat may just be marking the new territory. Whatever the case, you must clean up the urine smell from the places outside the litter box.

There are several products on the market. I'd try several to be sure to get the smell out. You have to use something that will break down the enzymes. Some people swear by baking soda and vinegar. Blot up as much of the urine as possible. Then use a steam cleaner, even if you have to rent one. Soak the area with a mixture of 1/3 cup of white vinegar with 2/3 cup of water and a little soap. With a clean rag, blot up any excess liquid. Repeat this process using fresh water, and then use another rag to soak up the remaining liquid. After this, sprinkle some baking soda on the area and vaccuum up in 24 hours.

Good luck.