View Single Post

Old 06-04-2011, 04:17 PM
Platinum member

A small (I hope) story to expand on this subject:

A while ago, the AAC (Amenities Advisory Council, or whatever) who are charged with adminstering the amenity fees, reluctantly approved a six-month trial period allowing non-Villagers to attend meetings of non-funded medically-oriented support groups at Villages facilities, provided they were no more than 10% of each meeting's attendance.

There were many, many harsh words during hearings on this proposal ["They'll swarm over us," "They're out to take over our facilities," "We can't set any precedent allowing outsiders in," etc.]

After the inital trial period, statistics maintained by my particular support revealed: 144 visits by outsiders; accummulated by 8 outsiders; no one ever questionned their attendance.

But, the swimming pools are probably the biggest attraction for so-called outsiders. There, I can see placing limits.

The subject of outsiders using Villages facilities/amenities has been on-going since before I came here. Many of the older residents remain adamently opposed to letting any one other than immediate family to take advantage of our recreational facilities; the newer residents are "more accommodating."

As many of you know, my brother and his family live off campus in Marion County. They frankly have no interest in our amenities, being happy with their own. That said, one of their first demands when I moved here was, "We must go to Katie Belle's." So, I took them as my guests. We were all so disappointed in the evening that they've never asked to go again, and I've never suggested it to them!

SWR